Children need the freedom to explore their environment to develop and strengthen connections in their growing brains. The home, classroom and outdoors need to be a space where children of all ages can explore safely.
GENERAL INDOOR SAFETY TIPS
- keep chemicals away from children
- keep sleeping areas as bare as possible
- keep away from electrical appliances
- keep small items out of reach
- secure windows, block stairways and lock doors
- keep children safe around the family pet
GENERAL OUTDOOR SAFETY TIPS
- Never leave children alone outside
- Teach children not to play near the street
- Explain that children must ask for help if toys roll into the street or driveway
- Check the outdoor play area routinely. Remove trash, sharp branches, tools, lawn equipment, and animal faeces
- Use playground equipment appropriately.
- Stay a safe distance away from moving swings.
- Watch out for others when riding tricycles.
- Wait for the group before crossing the street.
- Watch for cars in streets and parking lots.
- Stay inside designated play areas.